Do you have dry, cracked and peeling lips? It’s uncomfortable and unsightly. I have been here too – you’re not alone! There are so many factors which affect the health of your lips. As well, there is a lot you can do at home to increase the look of your lips. Read on for my dry lips cure! Its winter time after all, and those of us struggling through the snow, slush and sub zero temps are looking for ways to maintain our outer beauty and inner health one step at a time.
This post is going to feature some cause and effect problem solving, some at home DIY recipes and some of my favorite products that I can’t wait to tell you about!
Ok, here we go!
Dry Lips Cure.
Before I give you your cure, you need to understand the causes behind your dry lips. I have put together a little list below which will outline the cause and then the treatment you should seek.
- Dehydration – if you don’t drink your recommended 6-8 glasses of water a day you are surely dehydrated! If you feel thirsty right now, it is already too late! You need to drink your water ASAP. Dryness in the lips can be attributed to dehydration – the delicate skin is dried and flaking because your outer most layer of the skin on your lips hasn’t got enough internal moisture to keep from peeling. Solution: Drink your water!
- Sun exposure – If you have been on a sunny vacation or visited a tanning bed recently, you may have been exposed to too much UV radiation. Your lips are very sensitive and even if you used an spf, you likely forgot to apply it on your lips. Solution: You should avoid direct UV exposure unprotected. Tanning beds are directly linked to skin cancer and if you are unprotected from the strong concentrated rays you are increasing your chances of developing this condition. Solution: apply some aloe and avoid the rays. Take a vitamin D supplement to keep your levels up.
- Wind burn – If you are battling the winter temperatures in some frosty part of the world, like I am right now, you might have what I like to call winter lips. These are dry cracked lips from being exposed to the harshness of the cold weather. Solution: wear a scarf around your face and apply a moisturizing lip balm. You can even make your own DIY balm which will be free from chemicals and ultra soothing.
- Are you a licker? If you lick your lips out of habit, you should stop it right now! Your lips are only getting more dry from the acid in your saliva. Your tongue isn’t medicating your kisser, it’s only making it more sore. I have seen some kids with red rings around their mouth due to obsessive licking. You need to break the habit by purchasing a medicated lip balm which is specifically formulated to prevent licking (ie: tastes bad). Otherwise, you can visit your physician for a prescription for a similar product if you have a drug plan.
Now that we have a basic understanding of the causes and what you can do to heal your lips I wanted to give you some of my favorite at home DIY recipes to take your healing to the next level.
DIY your way to beautiful lips.
I have given you the recipe for my sugar scrub previously and I still recommend it as a safe and natural scrub for your lips. Just don’t scrub your lips raw and be sure never to exfoliate if your skin is hurting. The scrub is useful if you have dry scaly skin on your lips which is not painful but is not being healed back to the base layer by other methods.
I also want to tell you about the toothbrush. It’s a handy little tool used to clean your teeth…. oh okay you already knew that. But did you know you can also use your toothbrush to exfoliate those luscious lips? Just rinse it well after use in warm water and gently scrub your lips until they feel smooth. I use a mint tooth paste and I find that the hint of minty freshness that is left on the bristles is very invigorating to my lips. I feel refreshed and awake when I add this to my morning routine!
Next, a simple recipe for an at home lip balm.
- 1 cup of organic coconut oil
- a teaspoon of jojoba oil
- 1/4 cup of beeswax
- 2-3 drops essential oil of your choice
Heat the oil and wax until liquified (it is important not to just try to melt the wax alone, it will cool rather quickly and make a mess. The coconut oil is a carrier and a barrier in this case). Add your other ingredients to the liquid and then transfer while hot to a safe container. Seal and refrigerate overnight.
Finally, I am sharing my lip mask mixture. I apply this most often at night time when I am battling with really dry lips that I can’t seem to heal.
- Teaspoon of quality Vitamin E lotion (vitamin E should be the only ingredient on the label)
- 2 drops of extra virgin olive oil; grapeseed oil or Almond oil (your goal is not to make the lotion loose – just fortify it). If you think you should use less oil, use your judgment depending on the size of the drops.
Mix well, and apply generously to your lips and surrounding skin. I suggest using this overnight. If you toss and turn a lot use it while you are in your house reading a book or watching the television since the intention is to apply a generous amount.
Kiss dry lips goodbye!
You don’t have to deal with dry lips any longer! I have given you the dry lips cure and now you have the tools to eliminate your
problem. Just figure out why you are experiencing dry lips and follow my simple outline in this article for relief.
If you’re like me, you are obsessed with pretty lip colors. It is hard to wear lip colour when you are shedding nasty looking dry skin on your lips. The color won’t adhere or lay properly on your pout drawing more attention to your issue. I want to share with you my next secret.
After you exfoliate and before you head out the door reach for Covergirl Oh Sugar! Vitamin infused balm. It comes in a variety of pretty shades and it packs a punch where moisture is concerned. Right now I am sporting color 4 (Taffy).
X’s and O’s
Now that you know what to do, you are on your way to sort out your cakey lips. Just in time for your next hot date or company gala.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions about the DIY’s I have listed here. I welcome your comments and questions below. Do something nice for a friend today and share this article with them.